ACME Machine Shop Case (A)
The ACME Machine Shop is a small job shop that does machining of components for customers that assemble the components into finished products. The customers give ACME engineering drawings of parts and request production from ACME as needed. A typical drawing and the routing plan for manufacturing the part at ACME is shown in Figure 1.13. The manager of the machine shop wants to set up a database that can be used for maintaining records of the machine shop, including the equipment and human resources involved. He has given the following information about the parts manufactured by ACME and the resources of the shop:
1. Each part has one or more drawings. A drawing is specific to a part.
2. Each part has one or more routing plans. A routing plan is specific to a part.
3. Each part is machined from a workpiece, which is a material purchased by the company.
A workpiece may be used to produce more than one part.
4. Each routing plan is composed of a number of operations. Operations always use equipment and sometimes require tooling as well.
5. Each operation of a routing plan uses one piece of equipment. However, each piece of equipment can be used in more than one routing plan operation.
6. Each operation may use tooling, but each tooling is used in one or more routing plan operations.
7. Each piece of equipment is operated by an equipment operator of the skill class appropriate to the operation of that piece of equipment.
8. An operator is an employee. Operators may have achieved more than one skill class, and a particular skill class may be assigned to more than one employee. Some employees are not operators and do not require a skill class designation.
9. Some operations in the routing plan are inspections, or quality control tests, such as operation 7 in Figure 1.13. Hardness testing is a quality control procedure. A particular quality control procedure may apply to more than one operation.
10. Each quality control procedure has a set of details, a step-by-step description of how to do the test. There are usually several steps in each procedure.
(a) Show the E-R diagram for the situation described.
(b) Four routing sheets from ACME machine shop, like that shown in Figure 1.13, were sampled. The attributes were listed in a single table, as shown next. Using the procedure for normalization, show the steps required to normalize the data to third normal form.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more