(continuation of Problem 16-27). Blank Slate’s senior vice-president of marketing prepared his budget at the beginning of the third quarter, assuming a 25% market share based on total sales. The total tablet market was estimated by Foolinstead Research to reach sales of 400,000 units worldwide in the third quarter. However, actual sales in the third quarter were 500,000 units.
1. Calculate the market-share and market-size variances for BSI in the third quarter of 2015 (calculate all variances in terms of contribution margins).
2. Explain what happened based on the market-share and market-size variances.
3. Calculate the actual market size, in units, that would have led to no market-size variance (again using budgeted contribution margin per unit). Use this market-size figure to calculate the actual market share that would have led to a zero market-share variance.
Blank Slate Inc. (BSI) produces tablet computers. BSI markets three different handheld models. SlatePro is a souped-up version for the executive on the go; Slate is a consumer-oriented version; and SlateLite is a stripped down version for the young adult market. You are BSI’s senior vice-president of marketing. The CEO has discovered that the total contribution margin came in lower than budgeted, and it is your responsibility to explain to him why results are different from the budget. Budgeted and actual operating data for the company’s third quarter of 2015 are as follows:
1. Compute the actual and budgeted contribution margins in dollars for each product and in total for the third quarter of 2015.
2. Calculate the actual and budgeted sales mixes for the three products for the third quarter of 2015.
3. Calculate total sales-volume, sales-mix, and sales-quantity variances for the third quarter of 2015. (Calculate all variances in terms of contribution margins.)
4. Given that your CEO is known to have temper tantrums, you want to be well prepared for this meeting. In order to prepare, write a paragraph or two comparing actual results to budgeted amounts.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more