Refer to the Grey Corporation information in Exercise 13-18.
1. Where possible, calculate the amount and cost of unused capacity for (a) manufacturing, (b) selling and customer service, and (c) design at the beginning of 2015 based on 2015 production. If you could not calculate the amount and cost of unused capacity, indicate why not.
2. Suppose Grey can add or reduce its manufacturing capacity in increments of 30 units. What is the maximum amount of costs that Grey could save by downsizing manufacturing capacity?
3. Grey, in fact, does not eliminate any of its unused manufacturing capacity. Why might Grey not downsize?
Grey Corporation makes a special-purpose D4H machine used in the textile industry. Grey has designed the D4H machine for 2015 to be distinct from its competitors. It has been generally regarded as a superior machine. Grey presents the following data for the years 2015 and 2016.
Grey produces no defective machines, but it wants to reduce direct materials usage per D4H machine in 2016. Manufacturing conversion costs in each year depend on production capacity defined in terms of D4H units that can be produced, not the actual units of D4H produced. Selling and customer-service costs depend on the number of customers that Grey can support, not the actual number of customers Grey serves. Grey has 75 customers in 2015 and 80 customers in 2016. At the start of each year, management uses its discretion to determine the number of design staff for the year. The design staff and costs have no direct relationship with the quantity of D4H produced or the number of customers to whom D4H is sold.
1. Is Grey’s strategy one of product differentiation or cost leadership? Explain briefly.
2. Describe briefly key elements that you would include in Grey’s balanced scorecard and the reasons for doing so.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more