- Unethical conduct is not necessarily illegal conduct; however, the difference between ethical and unethical conduct can be difficult to spot. Using the Internet, identify an example within the last year of when a company engaged in LEGAL, but arguably unethical, conduct. Next, determine two (2) reasons why this conduct could be deemed unethical and why you believe the company failed to make the right decision. Lastly, speculate on the ramifications of the company’s arguably unethical conduct on its customer base. Justify your response.
- What are the purposes of laws as identified in the chapter reading and which do you most agree with? If running a business, where should a business executive look to find and understand the law that governs his or her business?
- What is an Executive Order by the President of the United States and how do and can these Orders affect the decisions management have to make today in business?
- Please post your sources and links for your research and information in all answer posts throughout the quarter. Also, please be sure your answers are current, your own work and not copy and pasted work. Answers must be your own and be substantive and then, post your source.
- Who can be found guilty of business crime and what is the key to establishing criminal liability? Using the Internet, research and post an example of a business crime committed in the last year and any and all of those who were held criminally liable.
- Include your source for information in your answer.
- Research what the law is on privacy in the workplace and answer – should employees today expect privacy or not and, why not?
- Imagine you are a senior manager in a U.S. manufacturing firm who procures component parts and services from various states. What is required for a valid contract and what part of a contract might put your company at risk if not sufficiently scrutinized prior to signing a contract?
- Explain contract formation and differences pursuant to common law versus the Uniform Commercial Code. Why is it important to distinguish and identify which applies in business?
- Research one breach of contract case involving two U.S. businesses within the last year. Explain the facts of the case, the dispute, and the outcome if the case resolved. Post an article or another source to help explain the case and show your source for information.
- The power of advertising is in its persuasive influence, and this influence can take several different forms. Research and explain one example of persuasive advertising within the last year that is unfair and deceptive and violates the law in regard to product liability. Be sure to identify and explain the law in your answer. Research the Internet for information about the latest activities by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Analyze the current state of government regulation for product safety to determine whether each administrative agency is generally proactive or reactive. Provide one specific example within the last year from each agency.
- Identify and explain the forms of intellectual intangible property protection pursuant to the Chapter reading. Then, provide an example of an ACTIVE business disputes involving intellectual property within the last two years. Summarize the facts and the law in dispute of the case you found. Provide the outcome or, predict what you believe will be the outcome of the dispute for the example you provided. Justify your response. (Please find an example no other student has posted about)
- What remedies are available to IP owners and what are the elements needed to prove and win a case in court.
- What is the law in regards to employee’s IP rights and limitations when they are working “within the scope of their employment?” This is a general question unless you are working. If working, see if you can provide your employer’s policy and share with the class. Provide a source for your answer.
- In today’s economy, there are a wide number of powerful companies who in all appearances control massive segments of different markets. Using the Internet, identify one example within the last year of a large company that has (or might be) engaged in anticompetitive behavior and what type. Next, suggest three ways that this behavior could be viewed as either a Horizontal or Vertical restraint of trade. Be sure to explain and define these terms and provide support for your response.
- Identify and explain the different forms of restraint of trade in your example and, what are some of the defenses? Support your answer.
Read the article Cleveland Shooting Highlight’s Facebook’s Responsibility in Policing Depraved Videos found at: http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/social-media/cleveland-shooting-highlights-facebook-s-responsibility-policing-depraved-videos-n747306
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Discuss whether or not you believe that Facebook has a legal or ethical duty to rescue a crime victim.
- Suggest and elaborate on three (3) ways that social media platforms can be more proactive and thorough with their review of the types of content that appear on their sites.
- Propose two (2) safeguards that Facebook and other social media platforms should put into place to help prevent acts of violence from being broadcasted.
- Conduct some research to determine whether or not Facebook has an Ethics Officer or Oversight Committee. If so, discuss the key functions of these positions. If not, debate on whether or not they should create these roles.
- Propose two (2) changes Facebook should adopt to encourage ethical use of their platform.
Use at least two (2) quality resources in this assignment.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references.
Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
Uber is largely hailed as the advent of the gig economy, which is the idea that people will not work for any one employer, but instead will work on projects for any variety of companies desiring their services. While creating a new type of entrepreneurship for individuals, it raises a host of new legal questions for companies around the law of agency.
An investment firm has asked you to evaluate Uber’s legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers.
Write an interoffice memo in which you:
- Summarize the main principles of agency law and the term “scope of employment.” How is this term applicable when it comes to Uber and its business and the liability for its drivers?
- Recently, an Uber driver lost control and killed his passengers. The driver was drunk. Should Uber be liable for the conduct of its driver in this situation? Why or why not? Use the law of Agency to back up your argument.
- Identify the steps Uber should take to limit its legal exposure for the conduct of its drivers.
Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment, Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
Your Memo should include a heading, summary statement, background and recommendations. See the link for information on formatting here:
You have been hired as a management consultant by a large company to examine the business decisions of the company in regard to employee protections. The laws applicable are federal antidiscrimination laws, federal health and safety laws, state laws and employer firing practices related to the employment-at-will doctrine.
In relation to the questions below, write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you:
1. Analyze, identify, and explain recent legislation that helps to protect employees from discrimination in the workplace. Provide at least two recent federal legislative protections/laws. Provide some insight when the federal legislation conflicts with the state. (Please note, the Title VII of the Civil Rights Act is not an acceptable example for this question)
2. Explain the Employment-at-Will (EAW) Doctrine and ALL possible exceptions to the doctrine. Look at the scenarios below and determine, pursuant to the law, whether the decision to fire the employee is a smart one. Identify why or why not and determine all the possible exceptions per the EAW doctrine that are, might be, or could be applicable if the employee sues for wrongful termination. Be sure to identify the law and explain it. Then, apply the law and answer the question. (All employees below are employees-at-will).
- Peter, a department supervisor, requests approval to fire Robert, his secretary. Robert is a devout Buddhist and was putting out Buddhist literature in the employee break room. Robert was also taking a lot of time to meditate in the workplace during some of the busiest times of day. Peter wants to fire Robert. If fired, can Robert sue for wrongful termination and prevail?
- Lori, a manager, started a blog on the company website for the company softball league. She noticed a worker, Seth, was protesting that employees were not getting paid enough and that benefits were costly. Lori reprimanded Seth and the next day, Seth posted a sign-up sheet on the blog to start a union. Lori fired Seth a week later when he failed to show to work one day. Can Seth sue for wrongful termination and prevail?
- Lori, head of Accounting, refused to sign Brian’s parental leave request. Brian is seeking 12 weeks of paid leave to care for his newborn son and wants to take this time during the most busy time – tax season. Can Brian sue for wrongful termination and prevail?
- Jackson has worked for the company for 10 years. He is a researcher and has a rare form of liver disease. The chemicals he works with make his condition worse but, he does not want to stop working. Jackson’s health is failing and, it effects his work. His boss, Jerry, is not happy with his performance and, when Jackson failed to show results from his research, fired him. Can Jackson sue for wrongful termination and prevail?
3. Determine the law in regard to undocumented workers and whether they are eligible for state workers’ compensation in the United States. Advocate for or against this practice and substantiate your response with research to support your position. How does the state law conflict with federal immigration law? Support your response.
4. locate at least two other quality academic resources in this assignment. Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is as follows:
Evaluate law relative to workplace discrimination, employment at will, state workers’ compensation eligibility and the Supremacy Clause.