Assignment #2–Socialization Paper: Using as many agents of socialization that apply, describe how each agent socialized you to become the person that you are today. Trace your personal socialization from birth to the present moment. Be sure to include all of the following terms:
1. Status: friend, employee, coach ascribed=sister, daughter
2. role expectations: the expectation that comes with the fact that I have the role and gender of a women, armenian family= women does cooking, cleaning, have been doing so for generations but it is accepted and never challenged in our culture
3. role strain: bio student= too many challenging science and mathematics courses, need to take 15+ units every semester to transfer in 2 years
4. role conflict: the role as a student and employee was probably one of the most difficult ones.
5. agents of socialization: parents, friends, other members of society in my generation
6. Norms: no cursing in public, normal hygiene
7. Folkways: being polite, using manners, shaking a person’s hand when introducing yourself, always greeting elders first
8. Mores: how to dress for certain social settings, no drinking during high school, school more important than relationships with boys
9. Values: my family’s values→ education, keeping family close, kids after marriage
10. social control: (norms, folkways, mores) parents and friends influenced what was socially acceptable
11. Sanctions: good grades=praise, was expected bad grades=punishment
12. Subculture: different groups in high school: band, jocks, “nerds,” ASB, “goths” I did basketball for all 4 years→ jocks group
13. cultural capital: education is more important than anything in my family, due to my father’s educational attainment
14. Ethnocentrism: private armenian school, only associated with Armenians, differing cultures=inferior
15. cultural relativism: viewing cultures around me with an unbiased view and saw them as their own with their own standards/customs, make many friends outside of my ethnicity which educated me and allowed to experience the world from their culture’s perspective.
16. sensorimotor stage: sticking things in mouth as a baby→ learning what your environment is
17. preoperational stage: using words to communicate and to create an understanding, “no” “yes” “why”
18. concrete operational stage: think logically and rationally → middle school
19. formal operational stage: think abstractly about the things I came across as challenges in my life→ taking challenging courses
20. generalized other: the basketball team is the generalized other in so far as it enters – as an organized process or social activity – into the experience of any one of the individual members of it
Structure and instructions for the paper:
1. You must use an essay format. You must utilize a minimum of three agents of socialization, and examine your life by fully discussing the impact of each agent of socialization on the development of who you are today. You must include all of the above twenty terms. Note: You must utilize each term in a manner that clearly articulates to the reader an understanding of the concept. You must use the key terms in a clear and logical manner that fits into your overall essay. You must highlight or underline the above 20 terms in your paper at least once. You must keep the paper within four to eight typewritten pages, double-spaced, 12 point font. You must include a coversheet with a title, your name, class, and date. Submit it stapled in the upper left hand corner. No binders or folders.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more